Hundreds of years of history and a lot more to come!

Port Vauban


After having served as a port and partially an ‘airport’ for seaplanes in the early part of the 20th century, its development as the harbour as we know it today started in the Seventies .
It is a port of contrasts, it gathers behind its walls from the 16th century called ‘Les Remparts' a variety of boats, yachts and mega-yachts with the most modern designs of our time.

Port Vauban now serves as the home of the Yacht Club d'Antibes and is the largest marina (in terms of total tonnage of the boats and yachts moored there) in the Mediterranean Sea. Some of the world's largest and most lavishly appointed yachts have Port Vauban as their home port.

Seaplanes


For a long time indeed, seaplanes have landed and departed in front of the Port Vauban to ensure the postal and commercial link between Antibes, Ajaccio, Tunis and Algiers.

Established in 1920, the Naval Air Station occupied the present site of the Pré aux Pêcheurs where two huge hangars were built for the Seaplanes. On rails the seaplanes were transported from the hangars to the crane, situated where the Capitainerie is today and were launched to start their journey from Antibes.

Many courageous men have landed their seaplanes in Antibes between 1920 and 1934. A radio tower has been put in place in 1933. Then it disappeared after the Second World War, in 1938 the Ministry of Aviation decided that the Seaplane Base of Antibes closes for economical reasons, the base was then used for civil and military planes only.

General History


A fortified enclosure

Since the era of Late Antiquity, Antibes has been guarded by a fortified enclosure, which was restored in the Middle Ages then completely rebuilt in the 16th century by Henry II, François I and Henry IV (the latter was responsible for the completion of the present Fort Carré). From 1680 onwards, military engineer Sébastien Le Prestre de Vauban ordered extensive fortification works to be carried out under the management of fellow engineer Antoine Niquet. These were dismantled by the city during the 19th century.


A Greek city

The area of the port now known as Saint Roch was originally a Greek city founded by the Phoenicians, and was used very early on in the city’s history as a centre of navigation and trade.